On Wednesday evening 10 October OASIS hosted this year's Inter-Office Quiz Night. 8 teams representing Balfour+Manson, Turcan Connell, Standard Life, Burness Paull, a combined W T Dunbar & Sons and St Cuthbert's team and 3 Fresh Start teams answered 5 rounds of 20 questions covering General Knowledge, History, Geography, Science and Edinburgh.
The St Cuthbert's Minister, the Reverend Peter Sutton, acted as Quizmaster and did a splendid job. Undoubtedly due to his Army background he had no difficulty in making his voice heard above the increasing volume of laughter and chat as the evening wore on. Feedback received confirms that it was a hugely successful evening.
This year's prizes were:
FIRST PRIZE: Half hour massage or facial at the Guerlain Spa of the Waldorf Astoria (Edinburgh – The Caledonian) . The top team will, of course, have the additional honour of receiving the OASIS Quaich.
SECOND PRIZE: 2 course lunch and drinks for four to the value of £80 in the Gourmet Burgher King Restaurant in George Street.
THIRD PRIZE: 4 cinema tickets to a film of your choice in the Film Theatre.
BEST TEAM NAME: The team deemed to have thought up the most unusual and quirky team name will each receive a £10 M & S Voucher from funds kindly donated by Baillie Gifford to support business outreach work in the City Centre.
BOOBY PRIZE: Each member of this team will receive a box of M & S chocolates, also donated by Baillie Gifford.
OASIS is deeply indebted to the above firms who have, so very generously, donated this year's prizes and to those who have done so over recent years, in particular, the Waldorf Astoria's Galvin Brasserie De Luxe, W T Dunbar & Sons and John Lewis.
At the end of the evening Peter presented these prizes to the following winners:
• FIRST PRIZE: to the Turcan Connell team Captained by Mark McKeown and including Kirsty Johnston, Neil Wilson and Scott Hunter. They also, of course, have the honour of holding the OASIS Quaich for a year!
• SECOND PRIZE: to the Burness Paull team Captained by Liam Young and including Andrew Clark, Nick McAndrew and Tom Richards.
• THIRD PRIZE: to t he Fresh Start team Captained by Heather and including Jen, Dave and Duncan.
• BEST TEAM NAME: to the Standard-Aberdeen-London-Lloyds team with their entry of “Pew only live twice”. This team was comprised of Colin Marshall, Lee Divito, Colin McPherson, and Vince Fraser,
• The BOOBY PRIZE: was shared between the other two Fresh Start Teams with identical scores. Players were Ian Gilroy, Lesley, Sid and Isy and Brian Wilson, Brian Moffat, Carrie-Ann Scougall and Beth Noble.
As the event organiser I am hugely indebted to the Rev. Peter Sutton for acting as Quizmaster, to Ben Williams for setting the excellent questions, to Maggie Barrons and Jean Watt for their delicious catering to Heather Gregg, Joint OASIS Administrator, for taking photographs, to the Church Officers for setting up the event and last, but not least, Thomas Parkinson, who assisted me in so many ways before the event and as a scorer during the event. Heather's photographs can be view here.
Finally, thanks to all who attended for supporting the event and for so generously donating towards the work done by Fresh Start to help the Homeless in Edinburgh. £208 was raised on the evening which is fantastic.
Looking forward to seeing you all at the OASIS Community Carol Service on Tuesday 18 December at 12.45 and, of course, at the Quiz next year!
OASIS Joint Administrator.